Monday, June 8, 2009

Barcelona!!!

6/8/2009
Barcelona Spain

Last night we had dinner at a table of 8. What a crowd we were with. There was a couple from Australia, 2 couples from New Zealand, a couple from Chicago/Florida (they were retired teachers on a 36 day cruise. See Julie you can do it someday!) We had a blast talking to them about all of our experiences.

Today in Barcelona we took the underground metro to the Temple de La Sagrada Familia. It is a church that was designed by Guadi in the early 1800’s and is still being built today. Not expected to be finished until at least 2026. It is the most unusual looking building I have ever seen. I am not sure it is even usable now because of the construction.

We then started walking back to the La Rambla (Main thouroghfare of Barcelona). We found some great little shops to browse through and a restaurant. We had some tapas and of course the local favorite, Sangria!! Barcelona is much like the other cities we have been in. Very small streets and apartment style living. They put their clothes out windows to dry, along with some very pretty potted flowers. Along La Ramble is a very big tourist trap from what I could tell. Many ‘characters’ dressed up and acting to get tips. There are also the very expensive shops like Gucci. We went in a Gap looking store called Replay and was surprised to find a small sweater for Tatum was over $125.00. We quickly left.

Even with a map it is easy to get lost on the side streets. We end up in some very unusual places, then start reviewing the map to get back on course. We finally decided to go back to the ship and eat a snack and rest. I wish I would have brought a pedometer to find out how much we walk in these cities. It seems like forever, since my feet start hurting.

I went back out to the city to find some wine and found a quaint little ‘grocery’ store. It is very fun to buy wine there since I really have no idea what I am getting. I got a bottle of Cabernet/ Tempranillo, so that might be good. We have not opened a bottle yet that was bad. I also bought a 6 pack of beer to take back on the ship. We are not allowed to, but the ship is not checking here since the Spanish security is checking. I am not sure what they are looking for, but obviously not contraband beer. Wooohooo!!! On the way back from getting the wine and beer I was just casually strolling along and here comes an elderly many nekkid! Totally nekkid with tattoos. Not a pleasant site! I am now sitting in the port building using their molasses slow free wi-fi. I forgot to get the cable for the camera to upload pictures, so they will come later.


Adios,

Tomorrow all day at sea, the next Cadiz, Spain

C&D

5 comments:

  1. It all sounds so great. I'm overwhelmed by it all and I'm not even there. I don't know what to comment, but I want you to know that I'm keeping up with your blog and love that you are letting us know what y'all are up to. We are just swimming and stuff here. Going up to JUMMP in Granbury on Wednesday to bring the youth back to Lubbock on Friday. Then UMARMY next week in Snyder. Not quite the world traveler that you are!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment. I thought Philip would be the first to respond. I was going to call Brice today, but remembered he was at JUMMP. I still do not know how to call. I am not having luck finding calling cards. Maybe this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your adventures in the different cities. We took a hard copy of Sunday's post to Lorenzo yesterday. Everyone is jealous. Our exciting world travels include visits Hondo! He is fine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hopefully all the walking will keep you ready to go do your 10k when you are finished. Not sure all the eating and wine are training :)

    It should be easy once you get there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. To keep you up-to-date on our lives (so you don't feel left out...
    Today I got up, showered and went to work. This morning I didn't take Britton, like I do sometimes. I had lunch at this neat little restaurant that only makes roast beef sandwiches and cool seasoned curly fries. Tonight I expect that I'll have dinner and hopefully get some good sleep.

    ReplyDelete

Followers